Monday, March 21, 2016

A New Work Space and a Little Recipe for Oyakodon


Oh how happy I am! Since we've moved into this tiny cottage, I've been making use of space where I could find it to do my work. Shipping supplies kept in the black bag, paints in the green, art under the bed, and brushes in the closet. The routine of setting up and putting away became quite monotonous.  I woke up today along with the final straw and after many many hours of tidying, packing, boxing, and shoving, I now have a real live work space!!!


The upstairs was unfinished for months, mostly full of belongings and boxes that needed to be kept away from the bunny ( in particular his teeth!). In fact I don't even have any pictures of the before on account of how reserved I felt about it.



It's not your normal desk and chair, but having had a severe case of the Japanese-Blues ( as I call it... I so wish there was a word of homesickness for another place.. something stronger than miss... perhaps there is one.. do you know it?) I became quite fine with having a comfortable floor space.


 


 Having gone to bed pinterest-ing away all the ideas in my head, I woke up, threw off the covers and got straight to work. I am pleased with the way it turned out!


 I christened the new space with an amazing hot bowl of Oyakodon ! And of course the cat was very interested as well. If you happen to be interested too.. I went ahead and added the recipe down below. I'm not sure if you've ever seen " Cooking with Dog " on YouTube, but I highly reccomend it! They are one of my all time favorite channels and I have cooked so many delicious meals from their recipes!!



This is the video in particular I watched to make this meal : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAluC5k0Ip8
 

A great dish to make, especially if you have your own trusted source of backyard hens that lay deliciously golden yolks!! What I made isn't TECHNICALLY Oyakodon which literally translates to "parent-and-child" donburi.  With lack of chicken, I added tofu as a replacement and cilantro as a replacement for lack of parsley, much to my rabbit's shagrin.

If you can't find Dashi Stock near you, not to worry! I was able to try my best to recreate it by adding 2 tbsp Vegetable stock. I then added a 1"x3" piece of kombu to the simmering liquids and then removed the kombu before adding the egg.

The ingredients are as follows, but how to make it can be found by watching their video! I hope you get hooked and wind up making many more meals with Cooking with Dog!

Oyakodon - Cooking with Dog -
50g Chicken Thigh (1.8 oz)
50g Onion (1.8 oz)
2 Eggs
2 stalks of Mitsuba Parsley, cut into 2cm pieces
1 Egg Yolk

2 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Mirin
2 tbsp Dashi Stock
⅛ tsp Sugar
150g Steamed Rice (5.3 oz)
Sansho Pepper, optional
Shredded Nori Seaweed, optional



Tonight's Movie
-------
(Turner Classic Movies)

Today's Soundtrack:
-----
(on Spotify's Play Artist Shuffle) 

Video Diary from this week:
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...