Saturday, November 5, 2016

November 5th



Getting closer and closer to First Fire... the holiday in between Halloween and Thanksgiving for us. It is on this day, when the last leaf has fallen, when we stare out to miles and miles of naked forest and give thanks for all the life it has brought us and say farewell to the tree spirits that are off to a winter's sleep. Its filled with food and stories and song and whiskey. And that evening we light our first fire of the season. You're of course welcome to join in this celebration if you wish it!





I am quite the slow reader, but have selected this book, Ireland's Women, Writings Past and Present with works selected by Katie Donovan, A. Norman Jeffares, and Brendan Kennelly as my next read. And on the cover is one of my all time favorite portraits of Lady Lavery by her husband Sir John Lavery. I try to paint it in someway and in some different form of medium each year.


The water levels around here are so low and I do hope the frogs and fish and other animals that drink from this water will have a safe winter.








I went out to the meadow today. To look out onto the forest. I meditated and twirled. Twirling is such a special feeling to me... I feel my spirit drifts so far away sometimes... and when I go out to an open space like this and twirl... it truly feels to me as if I am spinning it back in... taking all my surroundings in with it. I feel a part of everything when I dance in nature and it is more healing to me than many things.



The forest was bustling with chipmunks!!!! Out for a late harvest I imagine, they were leaping and climbing and squeaking all over the place! This kind gent was nice enough to let me get close for a photo all though we did play a bit of ring around the rosy for a while to finally get it. If chipmunks can giggle I'm most certainly sure he was joining me in the laughter.





I'm a huge fan of our neighbors barn and beehives. Everything seemed to be blanketed in bittersweet and it was just a lovely sight. I do love a grey day.. the sun can block so much out for me sometimes and I feel as if there is just so much more to see when it's cloudy.


Well! That is all for now. It was a wonderful morning!!! Below is a video of my little day if you'd like to see... I am so very fond of the words to this Opera.... I'll play them here and hope you'll enjoy them! It's a song titled "The Lonely One in Autumn" by Gustav Mahler.

"Autumn fog creeps bluishly over the lake.
Every blade of grass stands frosted.
As though an artist had jade-dust
over the fine flowers strewn.

The sweet fragrance of flower has passed;
A cold wind bows their stems low.
Soon will the wilted, golden petals
of lotus flowers upon the water float.

My heart is tired. My little lamp
expires with a crackle, minding me to sleep.
I come to you, trusted resting place.
Yes, give me rest, I have need of refreshment!

I weep often in my loneliness.
Autumn in my heart lingers too long.
Sun of love, will you no longer shine
to gently dry up my bitter tears?"




6 comments:

  1. I'm so amazed at this wonderful post of yours, amazed and charmed, thank you !

    Wishing you all my best for your days to come

    X Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters and I are enjoying your posts so much! We love your Instagram, too, but there is something very special about the continuity and longer form of blog posts. My daughters are 18 and 16, and I am a lady in my middling years. We live in Massachusetts. I think we found you through a sneak peak Faerie Magazine emailed to us some time before the issue featuring your art was published. It's so funny because we have several things in common. For one thing, we have a house bunny! Our first house bunny, an English lop, died last winter. In the spring, we went to the MSPCA and adopted a New Zealand white who we love very much. His name is Mr. Lucky. We also have a black cat! He is four years old and his name is Indiana Jones. Besides that, we love antiquing and visiting old cemeteries and wandering in the woods and meadows around our home.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your artwork, and your pets, and gentle adventures.♥

    You can find me at: http://birdandstring.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely...

    All...

    As ever...

    What lovely home holidays, you have planned.

    Our First Ember/Fire came a while ago, in "my neck of the woods." Upper NYS is cooler than CT. And Last Leaf will be a while yet. Some of our trees really hold on to their leaves, with amazing tenacity!

    And since the ancient Celts held only Summer and Winter... And since their New Year began on November 1st...

    I wish you....

    Early Winter blessings,
    Luna Moon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, lovely post. I enjoyed every bit of it starting with the introduction to First Fire and ending with the YouTube. Beautiful! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally wandered my way through the woods of pinterest, Instagram & Etsy and found the path to your blog. How is it that I have not been this way before now? Your blog is very beautiful and I love your work too. Love your video!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...